Teams of School of Social Work faculty and alumni presented their research at two national conferences in November, sharing presentations that addressed the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, suicide risk among adults and discrimination among Muslim refugees.
The Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) Annual Program Meeting (APM), held by the social work education accrediting body, consists of social work professionals who collaborate and share developments in the field. This year’s APM theme was “Leading Critical Conversations: Human Rights Are Global Rights.” The event was held in Anaheim. Presentations included:
- Hundley, N.*, Wang, X., and Kim, I. Asian Americans’ Mental-Health Experience and Help-Seeking during COVID-19 Pandemic [Oral]. Council of Social Work Education, Annual Program Meeting.
- Yalim, A.C. and Ozturk, B. The Experiences of Discrimination among Muslim Refugees in the Muslim Ban Era and Beyond [Oral]. Council of Social Work Education, Annual Program Meeting.
The Gerontological Society of America’s (GSA) Annual Scientific Meeting is an interdisciplinary conference organized to foster collaboration among researchers, educators and practitioners who specialize in the study of the aging process. This year’s theme was “Embracing Our Diversity. Enriching our Discovery. Reimaging Aging.” The annual meeting was held in Indianapolis. Presentations included:
- Beltran, S.J., Wagner, J., Miller, V.J., **Dorris, L. Exploring the experiences of nursing home administrators during COVID-19 [Poster]. Gerontological Society of America, Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Beltran, S.J., Conner, N., Beato, M., **Reres, A. Nursing home-hospice collaborations: Staff perceptions and experiences [Poster]. Gerontological Society of America, Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Wang, X. and Castaneda, C. O*. COVID-19 Cases and Deaths in Nursing Homes: Role of Quality in Multiple Waves [Poster]. Gerontological Society of America, Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Wang, X., Beltran, S.J., and Gryglewicz, K. Help-Seeking for Suicide Risk Among Middle- to Old-Age Adults [Poster]. Gerontological Society of America, Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Wang, X., Xu, M., Gryglewicz, K., and Beltran, S.J. Race and Age Differences in Depression and Anxiety During COVID-19: A Longitudinal Study [Poster]. Gerontological Society of America, Annual Scientific Meeting.
* denotes alumni
** denotes student