Co-Designing a Suicide Prevention Social Media Awareness Campaign
The focus group session will take no more than 2.5 to 3 hours of your time (with built-in breaks). Participants will be asked to complete three separate activities:
1. First, participants will take part in a collaborative brainstorming activity, to specify content/information needed in materials/social media messages based on potential gaps in knowledge/availability/accessibility of suicide prevention resources, generate ideas for increasing suicide prevention awareness and strategies for disseminating information, and brainstorm ways to reduce stigma and encourage the promotion of help-seeking behaviors.
2. Next, taking insights from the first activity, participants will explore messaging from current suicide prevention campaigns to determine which messages are the most accurate, relevant, and useful to the target population of adults at risk of suicide, based on the perceived effectiveness of the campaign messaging.
3. Lastly, participants will be asked to create mock messages (including drawing graphics/content) for the suicide prevention social awareness campaign and educational and informational resources, using insights gained from the previous activities. This final activity will focus on creating key messages or content that participants feel is important to convey, especially among the high-risk populations.
Within eight weeks after the focus group session, participants will be given a brief, 10-minute follow-up survey to ensure the suicide prevention social awareness campaign and associated resources accurately captured your feedback. This survey will also allow the UCF research team to further refine the social awareness campaign and its associated resources, if needed. Lastly, this survey will capture participant diversity by collecting demographic information such as gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, and target audience classification.
Participants will be video and audio recorded during this study. If you do not want to be recorded, you will not be able to be in the study. Discuss this with the researcher or a research team member. If you are recorded as part of this study, the recording will be not be shared outside of the research team.
You will be compensated with $30 in Amazon Gift Cards, sent via email, for completing the focus group and the follow-up survey.
- Participants must be over the age of 18.
- Participants must be able to speak and read in standard English.
- Participants must have lived experiences with mental health problems and/or suicide ideation OR work with those who have lived experiences with mental health problems and/or suicide ideation.
- Participants must work directly with youth at risk of suicide.
- Participants must have access to a smartphone and an internet-connected device with Zoom.
Exclusion Qualifications:You may not participate in this research opportunity if any of the following applies to you:
- Anyone under the age of 18.
- Those who cannot speak and read in standard English.
- Those who do not have lived experiences with mental health problems and/or suicide ideation OR work with those who have lived experiences with mental health problems and/or suicide ideation.
- Those who do not have access to a smartphone and an internet-connected device with Zoom.
Get Notified of Future OpportunitiesSubscribe to our email list to be automatically notified of all future research participation opportunities as soon as they become available.
PI: Kimberley Gryglewicz
May 3, 2023
Number of visits: 1
Expected time per visit: 3 hours
Type: $30 in Amazon Gift Cards