Cheryl Cavaliere is a registered dietitian nutritionist and is licensed to practice in Florida. She earned her PhD in General Psychology with a specialization in Performance Psychology from Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, AZ. She earned her M.S. degree in Human Environmental Sciences with a focus in Human Nutrition from the University of Alabama in Birmingham, AL. She also earned a B.S degree in Biology with a focus in Ecology from Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Fl. She completed her B.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics and completed an accredited dietetic internship program through Life University in Marietta, GA.
Earlier in her career, Cavaliere worked for Cobb & Douglas Public Health in Georgia as a clinical nutritionist, certified lactation counselor, and breastfeeding coordinator. During this time, she specialized in breastfeeding education, prenatal nutrition, infant feeding, childhood obesity, and food security strategies. As the clinical breastfeeding coordinator, she also assisted with epidemiological research on breastfeeding prevalence and duration among women in Georgia for the State of Georgia Health Department.
Cavaliere also has previous work experience as an adjunct instructor at UCF and Valencia College and as an associate faculty member at Valencia College. Her teaching experience in these positions included teaching basic nutrition courses, clinical nutrition courses for nursing students, and sports nutrition courses.
Cavaliere’s research has focused on understanding the underpinnings of human eating behavior. She has explored how particular personality traits, attention, focus, stress, motivational factors, and emotions influence food selection and overall eating behavior.
As a lecturer in the Department of Health Sciences, Cavaliere is focused on educating and mentoring students majoring in Health Sciences and is interested in pursuing research and other academic endeavors in her areas of interest and specialization.
- Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy, General Psychology with an emphasis on Performance Psychology, Grand Canyon University
- MS, Master of Science, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Alabama
- RDN, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
- LDN, Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist
- BS, Bachelor of Science, Nutrition and Dietetics, Life University
- BS, Bachelor of Science, Biology: Ecology, Florida Atlantic University
- AND, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- DPG SHPN, Dietetic Practice Group: Sports and Human Performance Nutrition
- DPG VN, Dietetic Practice Group: Vegetarian Nutrition
- ACLM, American College of Lifestyle Medicine
Areas of Specialty
- Nutrition for Prenatal and Lactating Women
- Nutrition for Children and Infants
- Plant-Based Nutrition for Chronic Disease Prevention
- Stress and Emotional Eating
- Strategies for Resolving Food Insecurity
- Food and Exercise as Medicine