At-Home Exercise for Low Back Pain
The purpose of the study is to measure the change in pain and disability, quantify adherence and compliance before, during and after a competitive home exercise program (leaderboard group) compared to a take home packet exercise program (take-home exercise packet group). Additionally, to measure the change of ultrasound thickness of the abdomen wall before and after a competitive home exercise program compared to a take home packet exercise program. The difference between the two exercise programs being compared is that the leaderboard group will receive a weekly leaderboard of hold times for each exercise and the take-home exercise packet group will not. In the leaderboard group, you will be able to compare your exercise durations to the average durations and overall longest duration of other participants in your group. Additionally, the leaderboard group will also have reference values of healthy individuals overall hold times per each exercise.
You will be asked to complete exercise sessions of the prone bridge plank, torso elevated side plank, foot elevated side plank, dead bug, and bird dog at your home environment for 6-weeks.
We expect that you will be in this research study for 6-weeks with follow up questionnaires at 3-weeks, 6-weeks, 12-months, 18-months and 24-months.
- Ages 18-45,
- Have a biological sex of male or female
- Have self-reported low back pain within the previous 6 months or greater than 3 episodes within the past 3 years
Exclusion Qualifications:You may not participate in this research opportunity if any of the following applies to you:
- Are currently seeing and or received care from an athletic trainer, physical therapist, or other rehabilitation specialist in the previous 6 months,
- Have additional low back pain conditions such as lumbar spondylosis, herniated disc, spondylolisthesis, previous spine surgery, currently pregnant, experiencing neurological symptoms or other muscular abnormalities.
- Are unable to assume the exercise starting positions of the prone bridge plank, torso elevated side plank, foot elevated side plank, dead bug or bird dog.
- Are currently using lidocaine patches or prescription pain medicine.
Get Notified of Future OpportunitiesSubscribe to our email list to be automatically notified of all future research participation opportunities as soon as they become available.
PI: Luk Devorski
April 25, 2023
12494 University Blvd
Orlando, Fl 32816
Number of visits: 2
Expected time per visit: 1.5 hours
Type: Up to $75 in Gift Cards
L. Colby Mangum
Exercise Physiology & Rehabilitation Science
Related Research Participation Opportunities
Consider taking part in a research study that seeks to examine the acute effects of BFR exercise training on patients with MS. This study involves 4 total visits, each lasting […]
The purpose of this study is to examine if a new piece of equipment (KORR-MetaCheck) used to assess the amount of kilocalories your body needs at rest is reliable and […]