Current Academic Appointment (July 2014 to present)
School of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL, USA 32816
Department of Clinical Sciences
College of Medicine
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL, USA 32827
Prior Academic Appointment (July 1997 to June 2014)
Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (secondary appointment)
Department of Geriatrics (secondary appointment)
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA, 72205
Certification and Licensure
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), issued by the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association [ASHA] (1988 to present).
- FL License #SA1309 issued by the FL Board of Examiners in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (July 2014 to present)
Current Membership in Professional Organizations
- Member, American Speech, Language and Hearing Association (1987 to present).
- Member, Florida Speech and Hearing Association (2014 to present).
- Member, Association of Standardized Patient Educators (2019 to present).
- Member, Society for Simulation in Healthcare (2019 to present).
Awards and Recognition
- Fellow, American Speech, Language and Hearing Association (2014)
- Annual Contributions in Research Award, Arkansas Speech, Language and Hearing Association (2013).
- Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Award, UAMS College of Health Professions (2012).
- Granted promotion to the rank of Professor by the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (July 01, 2012).
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award, UALR College of Professional Studies (2011).
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, UAMS College of Health Related Professions (2005).
- Granted tenure and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor by the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (July 01, 2004).
- Faculty Excellence in Research Award, UALR College of Professional Studies (2003).
- Annual Contributions in Research Award, Arkansas Speech, Language and Hearing Association (2000).
- Awards for Continuing Education (ACE), issued by the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association (1991, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2007, 2010).
- Nominated twice as Outstanding Teaching Assistant in the College of Liberal Arts at Arizona State University (1993 and 1994).
- Alpha Epsilon Delta National Premedical Honor Society (1997)
Prior Clinical Work Experience (All In Arizona)
- January 1990 to July 1997: President and Clinical Director, Zraick Therapy Consultants, Inc.
- August 1990 to July 1997: Speech-Language Pathology Consultant, Arizona Physicians Center; Ear, Nose & Throat.
- June 1994 to July 1997: Speech-Language Pathology Consultant, Arizona State Department of Economic Security Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program.
- August 1991 to July 1997: Contract Speech-Language Pathologist, Sundance Rehabilitation, Inc.
- January 1990 to August 1990: Contract Speech-Language Pathologist, Boswell Memorial Hospital.
- September 1989 to Jan. 1990: Director of Speech-Language Pathology, Arizona Rehabilitation Center.
- September 1988 to August 1989: Speech-Language Pathologist, Valley of the Sun Rehabilitation Hospital.
- November 1987 to August 1988: Clinical Fellow in Speech-Language Pathology, Sun Rehabilitation Agency/Inspeech-Novacare, Inc.
- Voice Disorders
- Neurogenic Speech Disorders
- Neurogenic Language Disorders
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology for Speech and Language
- Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Speech Disorders
- Communicating with the Older Adult
- Doctoral Seminar in Language
- Doctoral Seminar in Speech
- Doctoral Dissertation
- Voice and Stuttering
- Anatomy and Physiology for Speech and Language
- Introduction to Speech and Hearing
- Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy
- CCC-SLP, Certificate of Clinical Competence for Speech-Language Pathologists
My research interests include: Voice Disorders, Healthcare Simulation, Health Literacy, Adult Neurogenic Speech-Language Disorders, and Clinical Skills Training.
Please see my Curriculum Vitae for a listing of my peer-reviewed journal articles, grants, textbooks, textbook chapters, and conference presentations.
- Clinical skills training
- Healthcare Simulation
- Voice disorders
- Health literacy
- Adult neurogenic speech-language disorders
SPA 6211C: Voice Disorders
SPA 6236: Motor Speech Disorders
SPA 3101 : Anatomy and Physiology for Speech and Hearing
Dreaming Possibilities Through ASHFoundation Funding
Originally published in The ASHA Leader, September 2017, Vol. 22, 68. doi:10.1044/leader.AN5.22092017.68 As many communications sciences and disorders students head back to class, and in keeping with The ASHA Leader’s...