Rehabilitation, Athletic Assessment, & Dynamic Imaging (READY) Lab
UCF Athletic Training Program
The READY Lab aims to advance neuromuscular assessment, musculoskeletal imaging, and rehabilitation methods for the lumbopelvic-hip complex, while improving the understanding and delivery of patient care for active individuals with chronic musculoskeletal injury. The READY Lab analyzes spatial, mechanical, and electrical changes in muscle activity during static, dynamic, and sport-specific tasks using innovative applications of ultrasound imaging and surface electromyography. The use of biofeedback programming for ultrasound imaging, electromyography, and inertial measurement units to improve patient rehabilitation and recovery is integral to the mission of the READY Laboratory.
The READY Lab analyzes spatial, mechanical, and electrical changes in muscle activity during static, dynamic, and sport-specific tasks using innovative applications of ultrasound imaging and surface electromyography. Chronic musculoskeletal injuries examined by the READY Lab investigators include: low back pain, patellofemoral pain, and a variety of other injuries involving the lumbopelvic-hip complex.
Meet Our Team
L. Colby Mangum, Ph.D., MEd, LAT, ATC
Selected Relevant Publications
Our laboratory makes a concerted effort to publish our findings in respected academic journals and present at regional, national, and international conferences. In addition to contributing to collective body of knowledge in a given field, presenting original data at conferences is a fun way for the lab’s students to enhance their self-confidence and network with other scientists.
- Cruz JP, Vriner M, Mangum LC, Slater L. Longitudinal Changes in Athletic Performance in Competitive Figure Skaters. J of SCI IN SPORT AND EXERCISE. Published online June 7, 2021. doi:10.1007/s42978-021-00124-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42978-021-00124-2
- Sutherlin MA, Mangum LC, Russell S, Saliba S, Hertel J, Hart JM. Landing Stiffness Between Individuals With and Without a History of Low Back Pain. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2020;29(1):28-36. doi:10.1123/jsr.2017-0081. https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jsr/29/1/article-p28.xml
- Webb B, Kenning JH, Guzman A, Slater L, Mangum LC. Lumbopelvic-Hip Complex Contribution During Lower Extremity Screening Tests in Elite Figure Skaters. Journal of Athletic Training. Published online November 18, 2021. doi:10.4085/1062-6050-373-21
- Schellhase KC, Tran E, Carmody S, Dawry P, Mangum LC. Retention of Athletic Trainers in the Secondary School Setting. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training. 2022;1(aop):1-6. doi:10.1123/ijatt.2021-0104
- Webb B, Kenning JH, Guzman A, Slater L, Mangum LC. Lumbopelvic-hip complex contribution during lower extremity screening tests in elite figure skaters. Journal of Athletic Training. Published online November 18, 2021. doi:10.4085/1062-6050-373-21
- DeJong AF, Mangum LC, Hertel J. Ultrasound Imaging of the Gluteal Muscles During the Y-Balance Test in Individuals With or Without Chronic Ankle Instability. Journal of Athletic Training. 2020;55(1):49-57. doi:10.4085/1062-6050-363-18. https://meridian.allenpress.com/jat/article/55/1/49/433837/Ultrasound-Imaging-of-the-Gluteal-Muscles-During
- DeJong AF, Mangum LC, Hertel J. Gluteus medius activity during gait is altered in individuals with chronic ankle instability: An ultrasound imaging study. Gait & Posture. 2019;71:7-13. doi:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2019.04.007. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966636218317107
- Sutherlin MA, Mangum LC, Hertel J, Saliba SA, Hart JM. Correlations Between Anthropometric Measures and Muscle Thickness Using Ultrasound Imaging. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training. 2019;24(5):207-212. doi:10.1123/ijatt.2018-0095. https://journals-humankinetics-com.eu1.proxy.openathens.net/view/journals/ijatt/24/5/article-p207.xml
- DeJong AF, Mangum LC, Resch JE, Saliba SA. Detection of Gluteal Changes Using Ultrasound Imaging During Phases of Gait in Individuals With Medial Knee Displacement. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2019;28(5):494-504. doi:10.1123/jsr.2017-0336. https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jsr/28/5/article-p494.xml
- Devorski L, Skibski A, Mangum LC. Muscle Function Obtained with Motion Mode Ultrasound and Surface Electromyography during Core Endurance Exercise. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments). 2022;(186):e64335. doi:10.3791/64335
- Skibski A, Devorski L, Mangum LC. Providing Visual Biofeedback Using Brightness Mode Ultrasound During a Golf Swing. JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments). 2022;(186):e64333. doi:10.3791/64333
- Devorski L, Bazett-Jones D, Mangum LC, Glaviano NR. Muscle Activation in the Shoulder Girdle and Lumbopelvic-Hip Complex During Common Therapeutic Exercises. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2021;1(aop):1-7. doi:10.1123/jsr.2020-0485 https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jsr/aop/article-10.1123-jsr.2020-0485/article-10.1123-jsr.2020-0485.xml
- Glaviano NR, Marshall AN, Mangum LC, et al. Improvements in Lower-Extremity Function Following a Rehabilitation Program With Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation in Females With Patellofemoral Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2020;29(8):1075-1085. doi:10.1123/jsr.2019-0278. https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jsr/29/8/article-p1075.xml
- Glaviano NR, Marshall AN, Mangum LC, et al. Impairment-Based Rehabilitation With Patterned Electrical Neuromuscular Stimulation and Lower Extremity Function in Individuals With Patellofemoral Pain: A Preliminary Study. Journal of Athletic Training. 2019;54(3):255-269. doi:10.4085/1062-6050-490-17. https://meridian.allenpress.com/jat/article/54/3/255/11950/Impairment-Based-Rehabilitation-With-Patterned
- Krepkovich E, Kaur M, Mangum LC, et al. Feasibility of a Novel Video Game Based Electromyography Biofeedback System in Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 2022;1(aop):1-6. doi:10.1123/jsr.2021-0397
- Grindstaff, Terry L., Mangum, L. Colby, & Voight. Michael. (2022). Neuromuscular Consequences of Lumbopelvic Dysfunction: Research and Clinical Perspectives. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.2021-0258.
The UCF REhabilitation, Athletic assessment, & DYnamic imaging (READY) Laboratory is housed in the Education Complex and Gym, (ED 174) on UCF’s main campus.
You may contact us by email at [email protected] or with the form below. We look forward to hearing from you.
Rehabilitation, Athletic Assessment, & Dynamic Imaging Lab
Education Complex and Gym, ED 174
4000 Central Florida Blvd
Orlando, FL 32816